- Planning & development
- Design & redesign
- Content Strategy
- On-demand team
- Support & Maintenance
- Lower-cost and starter solutions
- Boutique hosting & security updates
- Start-up company consulting
We can take a site from wire framing to design to development, and can work with your budget to provide top-quality and efficiency while keeping the site scope realistic and targeted to your needs. We provide Drupal project management, guiding your project from initial planning to production. We use tools like Basecamp, Invision, and Tick time tracking to bring you a highly collaborative, boutique experience that accentuates creativity in design, development and strategy.
We are experts at what we do and have collectively created hundreds of custom modules for clients and the Drupal community.
For those sites requiring direction in structure or layout we can provide you with wireframes — "blueprints" for your web site, devoid of aesthetic details — to help us guide the design and any related technical features of the site. We can involve you and any other relevant parties in the wireframing stage through requirements gathering, handled by an Origin Eight project manager, with iterations on the final wireframes handled and approved via Invision (mentioned below). If you prefer, we can collaborate together on the wireframe using an online tool like Hotgloo, where both you and a member of Origin Eight can collaborate on the blueprints.
We use Invision for collaborative design, involving you, the client, in the whole process. We make iterative revisions, with multiple design concepts if desired, and focus on feedback and conversation every step of the way.
We can provide and implement a responsive design to make your site ready for mobile browsers without creating a separate mobile site or app. Two examples of responsive design we're particularly proud of are the Juilliard School of Music's web site and Journal publication. Resize your browser to see the page adjust to various device sizes!
We have the creative capacity to handle online brand management in terms of a business name, logo, image and online marketing and advertising strategies. Our brand-aligned graphic design can then be carried over into print and other business channels. Additional facets that we can handle include sentiment analysis and social media management.
We can help with content strategy and its important integration into the full process of a successful web project. We will make recommendations for content creation, delivery and governance that are informed by project goals. We will ensure that the appropriate stakeholders are involved, and bridge the gap between content strategy and information architecture, creating user-driven tests to determine content mapping. Additionally, we provide expert content writers who understand that content not only has to sound good, but has to be relevant to goals ranging from SEO to business objectives. For existing sites or migrations, we recommend a full content audit and content inventory creation which we then map to the final project, helping inform site map creation and in turn wireframe development.
We use PhoneGap to create mobile applications for iPhone, Android and other such platforms. We can then tie in content from your Drupal site into the mobile app, or allow publishing to your Drupal site from mobile apps. We can help you design and implement ways to tie in cross-channel interaction with your web presence.
Don't need a mobile app, but would rather your web site simply be themed and optimized for mobile devices, using "responsive design"? We can do that too!
If you are an agency, or a business or institution with an existing but insufficient development team, we can supplement resources, giving you direct access to our developers while providing infrastructure, best-practices and architectual expertise. We can also be your team -- we've been the dev team, marketing team, UX/IxD/design team, sysadmin & hosting team and project management team for everyone from start-ups to agencies to larger-scale businesses, offering competitive pricing well below what it would take to hire an entire team capable of all of the above specializations. We've also supplemented development capacity for academic institutions and smaller-scale ventures where Drupal capacity is in shorter supply, or to sustain a smaller team while capacity is migrated in-house.
We provide client-accessible development capacity expansion - you can have as much or as little access to our developers as you desire. We can provide project management, and a single point of contact to whom you can funnel requests and communications, or we can open up our ticketing system and assign developers appropriate to your project.
Working with short-term consultants and new-hires can be a frustrating and unreliable experience, as many have key skills missing like version control or the ability to adapt to your particular suite of technologies and workflows. You may be looking for an individual developer for a particular project, but via our client-accessible development capacity expansion processes, we can mimic an enhanced version of an individual developer, and even scale to your needs.
For larger projects or projects requiring excellence in implementation it's often most reliable to delegate to a small-to-large group of people who can pool their availability and talents. Working with us, you have supervision, accountability, project management (if you want it), multiple points of workforce coverage, *direct* access to the developer(s) working on your project, and areas of specialization that go beyond what any individual has. If anyone is working on your project, they have already been vetted by us -- we've already tested them out on small project pieces, and they have already gone through an interview process with the CEO and/or Director of Engineering at Origin Eight. Don't spend your time vetting your talent -- work with us and get it right the first time.
We're US-based, out of Minneapolis, Minnesota, with a Midwest work ethic. We do have several remote developers, since we go where the best developers are, rather than requiring that they live in our area. Collectively, our group has specializations in user experience and interface design, graphic design, advanced theming, nitty-gritty lower-level programming, module development, and the list goes on. We can do mobile apps that interface with Drupal, responsive design for different device screen sizes, and we can interface with different 3rd-party APIs and services. The CEO has experience in all of the above to provide direction and integrity across the board.
We have a support email, phone number, ticketing and request-tracking system and US-based support agents available to handle your support needs as part of development capacity expansion, as well as an internal help email and ticketing system if you require assistance with any internal workflow or technical issues.
We are well-equipped to provide you with top-quality site maintenance and support for both pre-existing and new sites that we develop. We provide service packages that are custom-tailored to fit your needs. In general, for clients requiring less than 5 hours per month, we offer retainer-free billing but do charge a higher rate for overages. Retainer packages start at 5 hours per month, after which we offer 5-hour increments at an hourly rate, with a higher rate for overages. However, let's craft something that works best for you and your particular needs.
We have a support email and phone number for support requests, although some clients prefer to integrate directly with our ticket tracking system to submit support requests and bug reports directly to their project manager or support specialist. All requests are routed and delegated to the appropriate development team member for completion.
We also provide an emergency SMS paging system and phone number, although these are generally available only for those sites hosted with us, unless special arrangements are made in a support agreement.
Maybe you're an individual, a budget-conscious non-profit or a small business, and you're looking for the best possible solution in the industry for your web presence at a price point that confirms to your budget. You've come to the right place! Through Origin Eight you can access highly professional expertise, top-quality Drupal development solutions and honest pricing backed by smart, budget-conscious decision-making that includes examining options such as templates and distributions as a starting point for your web project.
Templates are existing, highly-maintainable web sites that are already built for you. The layout, basic structure and the look & feel are already built – you just have to enter your content. Below are some of the starting-point templates that we recommend -- make sure the template you choose is classified as a "Drupal" template; and, if you'd like it to be more compatible with mobile devices, make sure it's classified as "responsive." We can then take this template and modify it to your liking, changing things like the logo, colors, and other basic elements of the "look and feel." Having a starting point that is already fleshed-out allows us to offer a lower-cost final product.
Want to start out with a fully-functional site that is ready to be customized? Distributions are the answer. Distributions will often need to be further customized, but the cost factor is often much less than starting from scratch! Below are just a few examples of several site "foundations" that you can start with. Click here for a more expansive list.
- Acquia Commons — Create an online community.
- CiviCRM — Constituent relationship management for advocates, non-profits, and NGOs.
- Commerce Kickstart — Kickstart your online e-commerce shop.
- Conference — A web site for conferences.
- Managing News — News and data aggregation.
- NodeStream — Create a newspaper or magazine site.
- Open Atrium — Your own team collaboration hub.
- Open Enterprise — A complete web presence solution for small- to mid- sized organizations.
- OpenChurch — A web site for churches and ministries.
- OpenPublic — A site tailored to the needs of government.
- OpenScholar — A web presence for an academic community.
- ProsePoint — A newspaper and magazine content management system.
- Videola — Create your own paid- or free- access video website serving video to desktop, mobile or TV.
We provide boutique hosting & maintenance services so that you can delegate everything regarding your site's performance, security and uptime to us.
See DripDropHosting.com for more details.
We make use of a variety of hosting options from various providers, depending on your needs. We provide boutique hosting services for small to mid-level sites that make use of Aegir as a hosting management solution, allowing us to easily upgrade core platforms, test and apply security updates.
We have more hands-on, managed hosting options, as well as more hands-off, unmanaged options. For those desiring the ability to do so, code can be version-controlled via your favorite VCS, and code can be pushed between development, staging and production environments. We can go beyond traditional hosting platforms as we possess the synergy of Drupal expertise combined with hosting expertise.
To garner the most performance from your site, you must have a top-quality hosting platform (which we provide), but you must also make good decisions and invest time in your code, since a great hosting solution alone cannot guarantee top performance. We can work together to make your site a success.
We also integrate additional features such as the following:
- CloudFlare - A supercharged CDN, performance optimizer, and security frontier.
- Droptor - A way for us to stay up to date on all of the security relevant to your site.
- Pingdom - Uptime and performance monitoring.
- SiteLock - Daily blacklist monitoring and vulnerability scanning.
- Blitz - Load and performance testing.
Sample price quote
* $250 for spinning up the initial site with any module/theme installations you'd need (we could do bulk pricing for spinning up multiple sites, if you'd need that).
* $35/month for hosting on our high-performance hosting solution for low amounts of authenticated user traffic. $65/month for a site with higher amounts of authenticated user traffic (i.e. a social networking site or a site where users are creating, editing, and deleting content in high frequency, and/or logged in while browsing the site). Depending on the scale of your solution, $35/month might be just fine. Soon we are planning to install New Relic to help us profile sites and adapt to fair, finer-grained pricing model based on the site's load on our servers and its consumption of resources....but we have the option for you to lock in a pricing structure and a discount by paying for service farther into the future (i.e. a multi-month package, yearly package, etc).
* $75/month for site/module maintenance: We follow security advisories for you, so that, when released and relevant to your platform, we do a staging -> production upgrade for the core or the module (wherever the vulnerability is), where we "stage" and test the upgrade via a technology called Aegir, before we actually perform the upgrade on the live site.)
* $85/hour for support & maintenance: If you need customizations to your Managing News platform (for example if we hit a performance bottleneck with the way you implemented channel access restrictions in Managing News, and you'd like us to fix that -- that would be billable hourly. Also, if a module or core upgrade breaks your site in any way (when found in staging, or if it somehow slips unnoticed into production), that is not included in the support package -- if you'd like us to fix that, that is also billed hourly). We can of course implement the channel access restrictions for you, too. If you have a project greater than, say, 10 hours of work, we can set up an estimate for this, too.
This pricing structure allows us to adapt to unknowns and manage risk, given the smaller size of our business. You can pay a lot more money for companies like Acquia to do this, and get a flat fee...but their services are often out of the scope, price range, and needs of many individuals and businesses, hence the "boutique" nature of our services.
See DripDropHosting.com for more details.
Does your start-up company need high-level technical direction? Maybe you have some great business ideas but have questions about the best way to implement them. As a former start-up Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Seth is familiar with the particular environment and needs of a start-up. As someone who is constantly navigating the latest tech trends, he can save you a great deal of money and technical mistakes from the outset, and can even work with you on wireframes and other planning-stage items to help you build what you'll need to pitch to investors.